Samarth is the Enabling Unit of Gargi College, University of Delhi. It was established in the year 2015 under
the UGC guidelines. The unit works with the explicit purpose of safeguarding the rights and working towards
the welfare of students with disabilities. Samarth has hosted a number of events to promote equity and
equality of opportunity, as well as to raise awareness of the rights of persons with disabilities. We have a
team of more than fifty-five dedicated volunteers headed by the Student Union and Faculty Union, who are
working on various projects and initiatives for the PWD in and around the college.
The word Samarth in Hindi means "Capable". People with disabilities are often perceived as weak and
helpless. The Enabling Unit of Gargi College was named Samarth to scrap this misconception and
symbolize the capability of persons with disability.
Every activity that the enabling unit performs is based on the following objectives:
1. To promote equity and ensure "Equality of Opportunity" for the persons with disability. .
2. Sensitize people towards the needs of the persons with disability and work towards creating a non-competetive inclusive society that is collaborative and non-hierarchical.
3. To spread awareness about the rights of the persons with disability.
4. To look at disability as a social construct that through stereotypes and biases creates negatives experiences for persons with disability.
5. To promote an inclusive and barrier free physical environment in college.
To design programs that can in concrete ways address the needs of persons with disability.
6. To ensure that all policies and programs for the welfare of the PWDs are implemented efficiently.
1) Organizing workshops and events on regular basis on the issues pertaining to the PWD learners.
2) Ensuring individual support for each PWD learners through a buddy system.
2) Ensuring accessibility in the academic and co curricular arenas by providing required materials and conducting inclusive events.
3) Promoting inclusivity by providing assistance and conducting workshops. ( Eg. Workshop on Indian Sign Language etc.)
The structure of the unit is two-fold, half of the unit is formed of teachers and students, who are referred to
as ‘Faculty Union and Student Union’, and the second half of the unit, also the powerhouse, consists of
people who give their valuable support and are called the ‘Volunteers’.
Contact us : email@example.com
Samarth_2019-20: The Enabling Unit festival could not be held due to the Covid -19 Pandemic.