Convener: Dr Sweta Mishra
The Gandhi Study Circle (GSC) of the college was established in 2008 with a view to revisit, review and debate Gandhi by the young generation. Gandhi Study Circle of Gargi College is a prominent cell not only among all the societies of the college but also of the entire University of Delhi. Here, the students become part of the Gandhian theories and practices. The study circle conducts a number of programmes to make the students, both members and nonmembers, aware about the non-violent ideas of Gandhi. The circle invites renowned scholars to deliver lectures and talks on various aspects of Gandhi and Gandhian thought with a view to revisit, review and debate Gandhi by the young generation as also to inculcate Gandhian values and ideals among them.
Purpose of GSC
- To inculcate Gandhian values and ideals among them
- All round development of the students by emphasizing Gandhian principles of simplicity and selflessness
- To understand and implement the work and philosophies of Mahatma Gandhi
- To educate students about the impact and importance of Gandhian ideologies and their relevance in contemporary times
Activities of GSC
To promote Gandhian thought and action, the Circle organises many programmes and activities like:
- Lectures and panel discussions
- Film and documentary screenings
- Intra and inter college competitions like poster making, slogan writing, debate, quiz etc.
- Visit to National Gandhi Museum and Gandhi Samadhi Rajghat
- Book and photo exhibition on Gandhi
- Cleanliness drive as part of Swach Bharat Abhiyaan
Activities during 2021-2022
- A talk on "Gandhi and Search for New Utopia" by Dr. Manindra Thakur, Associate Professor at Centre for Political Studies, JNU, was organized on 1st October, 2021.
- On 26th March 2022, the Study Circle organized yet another talk on "Gandhi's experiments in the anti-colonial movement" by Dr. Bhuvan Jha, Assistant Professor, Department of History, Satyawati College & Deputy Director, Centre for Global Studies, University of Delhi.
- Intra -college Poster Making and Slogan Writing Competitions were organized on 30th March, 2022 on the theme "Gandhi and Anti colonial Struggle". Both these competitions saw enthusiastic participation from students of different subjects/streams.
- Six students participated in the programme AIRNxt organised by all India radio on 11 January 2022, as part of Azadi Ka Amrit mahotsav the program focused on the vision of youth and their voices with regard to India’s independence